CLEVELAND EDUCATORS TO BE HONORED AT THE JEWISH EDUCATION CENTER'S 28th ANNUAL CELEBRATION MARCH 6, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio December 22, 2021- The Jewish Education Center (JEC) is pleased to announce the recipients of their 2021 Educator Awards. The Awards will be formally presented at the JEC’s 28th Annual Celebration, to be held on March 6, 2022.
The Albert B. Ratner and Jack and Esther Goldberg Israel Fellowship, which provides funding for study opportunities in Israel, is given annually to two outstanding teachers, one from a day school and one from a supplementary school.
- Lauren Henkin, Middle School Language Arts teacher, Gross Schechter Day School
- Beryl Palnik, Religious School Educator, Beth Israel-The West Temple
The Steiger Family Education Grant, is awarded annually to an exceptional day school teacher to help fund the cost of formal Judaic study.
- Dina Ribiat, 4th grade Judaic Studies teacher, Hebrew Academy of Cleveland
The Dr. Sylvia Fleck Abrams Award for Special Education recognizes an individual who displays a sensitivity, understanding, and skill set pertaining to advancing the Jewish educational experience for children with special needs.
- Gussie Singer, Director of Intervention Services, Joseph & Florence Mandel Jewish Day School
The Libbie L. Braverman Award, is a parent-nominated award that recognizes a teacher who has demonstrated dedication and devotion to teaching and has significantly contributed to developing methods or materials for the Jewish teaching profession.
- Marcie Harrison, Pre-K teacher, Solon Jewish Preschool
The S. Lee Kohrman Award in Jewish Experiential Education recognizes an outstanding experiential or informal “Beyond the Classroom” Jewish educator(s) in the Cleveland Jewish Community. This award is focused on those educational experiences that take place outside of a traditional classroom.
- Yoshi Silverstein, Founder, Executive Director and Educator, Mitsui Collective
“We congratulate these outstanding educators, and the institutions in which they work, for being models of excellence in Jewish learning and inspiring learners of all ages,” said Marlyn Bloch Jaffe, Executive Director of the JEC.