Fingerprinting - Background Checks
Background check or fingerprinting is required for every employee in all Ohio schools.
- Two types of background checks are required:
- BCI (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation) and
- FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation).
- New employees must be fingerprinted before employment starts.
- Current employees must update their FBI background check every five  years.
- Background checks must be done electronically via Webcheck.
- If fingerprints cannot be captured and read electronically via Webcheck, the employee will be directed to follow exception procedures.
- The ‘mail to’ background check certificates must be mailed to the employee’s school.
- Background checks are reported via Webcheck according to school requirements:
- To the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) for teachers, aides and administrators.
- To the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJFS) or ODE, depending on the early childhood department’s state requirements.
The JEC no longer provides background checks or fingerprinting.
Contact your school for further instruction.