Description of Mentoring
The Ohio Department of Education (ODE) requires Resident Educator (RE) license holders to be mentored by 5-year professional license holders who have completed ODE mentor training.
- Mentoring refers to the relationship between beginning or incoming educators (RE’s) and an educator (mentor) as they support, guide and instruct RE’s on their instructional decisions.
- Mentors support RE’s as they implement the Ohio Standards of the Teaching Professional and apply the components of the teaching and learning cycle to their instructional practice.
- JEC Mentors earn professional development credit for each year they serve as a mentor to a Resident Educator (RE) by submitting a Pre-Approval form accompanied by a Mentor Professional Development form to the JEC each year.
- Mentors are required to track time spent with RE’s and submit a mentor log each year of mentoring to the JEC Program Coordinator.
- With guidance and direction from the assigned mentor, Year 1 and 2 RE’s are required to complete and submit documents per yearly requirements.
- Mentors serve as facilitators to Year 3 RE’s during the Resident Educator Summative Assessment (RESA).